Reference: Data on file, Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc.
The primary objective was to determine the degree and duration of effect that LISTERINE® READY! Tabs® have on human intrinsic oral malodor compared with no treatment
- A 2-week, randomized, observer-blind, single-center, controlled, parallel-group clinical trial
- 79 patients were randomized in the trial
- Subjects were screened for 300 parts per billion (ppb) of hydrogen sulfide at baseline
- Initial washout was 7-14 days using Colgate® Red Box
- Product was used for 4 (+/-2) days, 5 x daily
- Primary: measurement of total volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) via gas chromatography
- Secondary: measurement of hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan per gas chromatography; measurement of strength of odors per organoleptic assessment using the Intensity Scale
Gas chromatography results:
Neutralizes VSCs for up to 3 hours
Fresh-smelling breath for up to 4 hours
P<0.05 versus control; statistical significance was achieved at all post-baseline time assessments.
P value for between-treatment comparisons is based on a mixed model for repeated measures (MMRM) with baseline as a covariate.
This clinical trial demonstrates the effectiveness of LISTERINE® READY! Tabs® to treat oral malodor for up to 4 hours.